Our 2020 Harvest Appeal is sensitive to the current situation that church and school communities are experiencing. You may not be able to meet together; you may not be able to contribute to a Harvest Event as usual. But our Trustees appeal in Faith that the parable of the “Widow’s Mite” may inspire us to act: we always have more than we need and offering to the glory of God and to those who have less than we do is the Holy Spirit in action.
Below is a copy of our invitation to support this year’s appeal:
Dear Friends and Supporters, We wish you all good health and safety in these unusual times as Covid-19 continues to impact lives around the world. The Trustees appreciate that many churches and schools have suffered funding short falls. Nor are they confident of being able to meet together fully, hold services, assemblies or collect items. Nonetheless we appeal in faith. In the UK, we have resources and infrastructure to stave off the worst, but as a recent email from Malawi suggests, folk are more inclined to spend their precious money on maize meal than masks. We have received many requests from our ngo’s in Africa to provide them food aid as well as masks and hand sanitisers. But our Harvest Appeal 2020 has a strong Education thrust.
We plan sending a container to Mangochi, Malawi where they ask that the container remain to be adapted into a Nursery School. We need to raise an additional £1500 to purchase the container which, when we send it, can contain food, masks and sanitisers as well as educational and personal resources.
Also this year we are collaborating with Training Teachers for Community Schools in Zambia who deliver training for unpaid, untrained teachers in Zambia. They distribute ‘Buddy Boxes’ to poor rural schools. Each boxes cost £25.00 and include either basic stationery for 25 children or a set of materials for teachers. Items are sourced locally in Lusaka.
Please help us by donating:
- Dried food stuffs and tins with [+24 month use by dates no glass please]
- Masks and hand sanitisers to send to Malawi and elsewhere
- School stationery items, [pencils, rubbers, rulers, sharpeners, solar calculators]
- £25 cheque donation to ‘Teachers 4 Zambia’ buys a Buddy Box full of useful stationery items purchased locally in Lusaka to support the learning of a class of pupils. [Make your cheque donation out to Teachers 4 Zambia and send to CART along with your contact details. We shall pass it on so this charity can respond to your generosity directly.]
- Help CART raise an extra £1500 to purchase a 40ft container to become a Nursery School in MalawiCART is very effective at getting your generous donations to their destination without wastage, salaries, fees or marketing. Instead unpaid volunteers in the UK & abroad work hard on your behalf. A power-point with video will be available from our website by September 6th. Thanking you in anticipation of your support of the appeal remembering people overseas. Yours in faith, Vanessa Stewart , on behalf of The Trustees of CART
PLEASE click on the blue link to down load our power-point story – 2020-harvest-noVideo .
There is a larger mp4 video file with full video commentary embedded of the whole Harvest powerpoint. We can share by google drive or we transfer – please email office [at] cartyorkshire [dot] co [dot] uk with HARVEST VIDEO REQUEST in the message bar.
Alternatively there is a shorter mp4 summary of 3 key slides with embedded video commentary.